Friday, August 3, 2012

Is There a (Grammar) Doctor in the House?

Let me first make a disclaimer:  Having taught English for a number of years, I find that I am constantly aware of signs, advertisements, billboards, etc., that are in dire need of my "help."  Even my two daughters are not immune to this same practice.  (Actually, we get quite a kick out of it!)  So, when I post a number of errors noted here in Japan, please note that I am not singling the Japanese out as the only ones to make mistakes; plenty are made in America!  However, since this is where we currently reside and I am constantly confronted with these examples, I am going to share them with the rest of you.

I did ask someone why the Japanese just don't hire an American to proofread before the finished product is displayed, but I was told that it is very, very expensive here to hire a translator.  Still, I can't imagine that the person responsible for the finished product doesn't have contact with an American who would freely give his or her advice, like me!  Needless to say, I think this particular post will grow as time goes on; 
thus, eventually there will be a Part II, Part III, etc.

The first thing we became aware of here were the funny or weird names for beauty salons.  We were already aware from living here 40 years ago that they are often incorrectly labeled as "Beauty Saloons."  
But the humor doesn't stop there.


This one is the first one we saw when we arrived in Fussa last December.  We're not even sure what they think it means, but we certainly got a kick out of the title!  It has become our all-time favorite!


The following are a number of beauty salons with just "interesting" titles:







Now, on this next one, I first took notice of the title, Salon de Sheep, and thought that was rather interesting in itself.  But then when I looked up and saw the lighted sign above the establishment, I was even more amazed that the owner would have gone forward with hanging the misspelled advertisement!




As opposed to bad hair?


 Do they examine your teeth while styling your hair?



 Lastly, I think it is interesting that they call the price list a "menu."
If you're wondering about prices, move the decimal over two places to the left and then add a fourth of that.  (One hundred yen is worth about 125 pennies.)  So, the cut and blow dry for 4,725 yen
would be approximately $60!

So enough of the beauty salons!  I'll move on to another favorite, labels.  Here are some of my favorites:


 





Are you getting the idea yet as to why I think I should hire myself out as an interpreter?!!

And now for an all-time favorite, verbiage on children's clothing:

  







   


 So, there you are, having just shared in one of my favorite pastimes:  taking note of the mistakes of others!  Ha! I still have more to display--like, business names, housing names, and hilarious names of cars.
But I'll save those for another post.


2 comments:

  1. you know i LOVE this! i don't think which is my favorite. but they are all awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, those are so funny and so weird! a lot are funny, but a lot are just totally nonsensical! hilarious. i feel bad for them, though, at how ridiculous they sound/read.

    i wonder how americans do with translating stuff into japanese? are we that bad?!

    awesome pictures of crazy wording!

    ReplyDelete